It can be difficult to discern if you need to replace the windows in your home, but there are specific things you can look for to determine if the time has come. Residential window replacement in Daytona Beach is particularly important to consider. Drafty or loose panes can cost hundreds of extra dollars in energy costs to keep your home cool. Here are some ways to find out:
- Any cracks? The windowpanes themselves sometimes crack. The smallest of holes can ruin the structural integrity of your windows, weakening the panes themselves and leaking cold air. If you find cracks, lightly add pressure to the crack. If you hear any grating, the window might be weakened due to the break.
- Check the edges. A window does not have to be loose to have holes around the edges. Check for light that filters in during the day around the frame. If the crack is small or seems inconsequential, you might be able to use a weathering caulk to seal the hole. If you see crumbling drywall or an enlarged seam, it might be time to consider window replacement by Indian River Glass.
- Homemade pressure test. Major drafts in your home can be easily tested by following smoke. Close your doors and windows, then turn your air conditioning on full-blast. Light something that gives off a stream of smoke, like incense. As you walk past your windows, watch the smoke. If the trail bends toward a window, you have a substantial leak.
- Hand pressure. If you press or attempt to lightly shake the window, you should feel absolutely no movement. Any rattling, movement, or shift from your touch means the edges of the window are not sealed properly. Not only does this mean your home has a weak entry point, but it also means your house is leaking air. Large windows and storm windows are more likely to fail this test.
- Does the window lock? If the latch on your window lock does not easily slide into place, the window’s seal might not be forming completely when they are closed.
Whether you seek window replacement for commercial storefronts in Daytona Beach or need help with your residential property, we can help. Replacement windows are an Indian River Glass specialty! Contact us today for a free estimate, quote, or some friendly advice.